Sunday, October 7, 2012

101 Days of Gratitude - Day #55

Today I'm grateful for new experiences. Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a Bat Mitzvah at Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation. My understanding of Judaism is fairly limited. It was a beautiful shabbot service where this little girl accepts her place as an adult Jew with all the responsibilities and becomes a young woman in the eyes of her community.

I was also moved by the story of the Torah from which she read. It is centuries old, a scroll hand lettered in Hebrew. This particular Torah is from a Czechoslovakian Jewish community that was decimated by the Nazis. Only a few descendants remain. It was found at the end of World War II among other Jewish artifacts among the treasures the Nazis stole.

It was amazing to witness this lovely ritual and learn about a culture very different from my own. It was also interesting to see the similarities between Judaism and other religions. We are all so different yet one in the same.