Tuesday, September 18, 2012

101 Days of Gratitude - Day #36

 "Never criticize a farmer with your mouth full"
                   ~My Dad's Bumper Sticker  
Today I'm grateful for farmers! Not the big agribusiness production companies but the small, family farmers who are true stewards of the land. I had the pleasure of driving the back roads yesterday and saw the fields being harvested. Having grown up on a farm I have a keen appreciation for this time of year and I love to see the combines rolling through the fields harvesting crops.

Farming is a demanding lifestyle. You are at the mercy of the weather and the markets. Vacations and days off are rare. The old saying "may hay while the sun shines" says it all with the implication that you work when the weather cooperates regardless of daylight or the hour of day. I don't think most people understand just how difficult it is. Imagine working at your job, not knowing how much you'll be paid or even if you'll get paid or worse yet, if you'll end up owning money at the end of the day for doing the job. That's what farming is. It's a gamble. So for those who keep the traditions and lifestyle of the family farm alive, Thank You!